Checkpoint Charlie's locked doors

Here I don't mention the tiny house on Friedrichstraße. This one is so real as the Eifeltowers in Las Vegas, Nevada or Orlando, Florida. It's just a replica of the first Checkpoint Charlie. But the tourists love it and make thousands of Instagram images there. The most of them don't know, that the original last building still exists.

Today you can find Checkpoint Charlie between the Outpost theater and the Nicholson library. These all are the Allied Museum Berlin right now. The former checkpoint you can see from outside only. The doors are locked. 

The images I took through the mirrored windows. For the first minutes I was a little bit sad that I didn't can walk in. But this feeling went away very fast, when I remembered to my visits of all the castles around Berlin. There I stood in a king's bedroom or near to the dinner table of a royal family. The typical tourist's look from the present to an object of the past. But here at Checkpoint Charlie I looked directly into the the past. That was so different. 


It seemed as if the guys left short for a break and they will continue their work five minutes later.  This closed object gave me the impression of an Allied's place of duty. So it was more authentic as the most historical sights are today. 


I developed a scenario in my mind. Can you imagine how crowds of Instagram kids are sitting behind this desk and taking pictures with the green telephone. This should never happen! Please, let the doors of Checkpoint Charlie closed!

Cheers from Berlin! 


Comments